Refurbishment of the Burns statue at Portpatrick. 25.09.16
The statue erected to Robert Burns by Portpatrick Burns Club in 1923 was badly damaged in a major storm in the 1980’s which brought down the hill side overlooking the site at the bowling club. The Burns Howff Club had previously been involved in the refurbishment of the statue. In the intervening years, the statue deteriorated but as Portpatrick Burns Club became defunct, Stranraer Burns Club arranged to refurbish and repaint the statue with the cooperation of Portpatrick Bowling Club. A ceremony to mark the event was held on 25th September when myself and 6 members, including Past Presidents Jack and Tom Johnston who were instrumental in the 1980′s repairs, made the journey to be present at the unveiling of the beautifully restored statue before the company retired to the Waterfront Hotel for a meal.